Sunday, April 24, 2005

Almost Connected Again

For the first time since we moved into the new house, I am online on my own computer again. Yes, it took me over three weeks to hook up my computer. The past three weeks have been overflowing with accomplishments; they've also been filled with a very special kind of torture. It's as if I've been working right between heaven and hell. I have nearly everything I've ever wanted. I just have almost no goddamn time to enjoy any of it at all.

In addition to moving I have been to rural Mississippi and Memphis for work, and will be in rural Lousiana next week. I did manage at last to get to Chicago for some fun with Kati and Michael. For a weekend in the middle of all this madness, the husband and I took a deep breath and did nothing but tour exhibits, eat good food with friends, and play games and talk and enjoy ourselves. Chicago was needed and neccessary. I do miss Kati so. I want to go back and visit her again before too long...

But I came right back into town and left again; and then my mother-in-law was here and we I was shown, how much, how much I really needed. Tommorrow the husband is home from work and the delivery men will bring a new bookcase for him, two filing cabinets for me, nice old wooden ones, and a dining room table from the 1920's refinished and so overdone in the turning of the legs that my sister Abby could tap dance on the top and it would never wobble. And then there's a kind of china cabinet with no glass, a blind cabinet it's called, that I like very much.

The husband and I have hung a pot rack from the exposed iron girders in the cieling. The whole house, little by little, is coming together quite well. You should come to visit and see it. But do that later - there are still piles and piles of books and clothes in the floor. And I can't figure out when I'll have time to unpack everything because even today I have a report to work on for my job, and then I'm off to Lousiana.

I put in my notice at work. I'm terrified I'll get pregnant and I can't keep up this constant rush of work and travel. I can barely hold everything together now, never mind if I have to do all that thinking about a baby as well. I said in the notice I'd wait until September. Cross your fingers for me that I can make it that long, and think thought in my direction about the National Archives and Records Adminstration. Whenever you think of me, think "8 to 4 desk job". Whenever I think of you, I'll think of warm summer vacations.

No comments: